Notes on Exporting Records to a File
This topic provides notes on exporting records to a file.
If you want to bulk update records in an app using the exported file (Updating Records in Bulk), there is additional notes you need to care about.
Make sure to read the notes described on this page before exporting data to a file.
Notes on Exporting Data to a File
To perform this action, you need to have the "Export to file" permission for apps.
By default, the "Export to file" permission is granted only to app creators.
Grant "Export to file" permission to users who need to perform the actions as needed, by following the steps in "Setting App Permissions".
You cannot export the following data to a file.
- Related records
There are some types of data that you can export to a file but cannot import to an app from the exported file. For more details, refer to the "Import/Export of App Data" page.
If the size of a file to be exported exceeds 100 MB, the export fails. Try to decrease the number of fields and records that you export at a time.
Notes on Exporting File to Use for Updating Records in Bulk
If you want to bulk update records in an app using the exported file (Updating Records in Bulk), export the following fields to the file.
- Field whose value is to be updated
- Field used as the key when updating in bulk
"Field used as the key when updating in bulk" is used to associate data in the file with records to be updated in the app.
When you import the file, records will be either added or updated. It will be determined by whether the value of key field (app data) matches the value of the associated column in the file (file data) or not.
- If the value of the key field matches the value of the associated column in the file, the record in the app is overwritten with the data of the row in the file.
- If the value of the key field does not match the value of the associated column in the file, the data of the row in the file is added as a new record.
Field Available for the Key to Bulk Update
Any of the following field types can be specified as Key to Bulk Update:
- Record number
- Date and time
The field used as Key to Bulk Update should contain a unique value that is not included in other records.
- The record number is often used as a key for bulk update because the number is included in every record and generated automatically as a unique value.
When the record number is used as a key for bulk update, the file cannot be imported if the "Record Number" column in the file has any record number that is not in the app.
- If you want to use any field other than the record number as Key to Bulk Update (such as Text, Number, Date, Date and time, or Link), you must enable "Prohibit duplicate values" in the field setting.