With App Actions, you can create an action to copy record data from a source app and then create new records in a specified destination app.
When the action is created, a button is added to the records of the source app. Click the button to display the screen for creating a new record in the destination app. In each field set in Field Mappings, the information from the source app will be copied over to the new record. Enter values in other fields as needed.
Creating a New Action
- Within an app, click the Gear wheel on the right and navigate to the App Settings tab.
- Under Advanced Settings, select Actions.
- Click New.
- Enter a Name for your action button.
- The Source field shows the name of the app the action will reside in. This will be the app you are currently creating the action in.
- In the Target field, select the app that is the target of the action. This will be the app where a new record will be created with data from your Source app.
- Select Source and Destination fields in Field Mappings.
- To map fields, select a field in the source app that you want to affect the field in the target app.
- To add and delete field mappings, use to add and to delete.
- If you select no field mapping, the button opens a new blank record in the target app.
- If the source and target apps are the same, pressing the action button puts the value of the source field into the target field of a new record in the same app.
- In Available To, select one or more users, groups, or departments who can perform the action.
- To make the action available to everyone, select the group "Everyone".
- Click Save.
- To edit the action, click the Edit icon.
- To delete an action, click the Trash Can .
- Return to App Settings and Update App.
Fields Available for Field Mappings
|Data to Be Copied||Fields Available for Destination|
|Value in the Text Area||
|Value in the Text field||
|Value in the Number field||
|Value in the Calculated field||
|Value in the Lookup field if the lookup source field is "Text"||
|Value in the Lookup field if the lookup source field is "Number"||
|Value in the Lookup field if the lookup source field is "Link"||
|Value in the Date and time field||
|Value in the Date field||
|Value in the User selection field||
|Value in the Created by field||
|Value in the Updated by field||
|Value in the Department selection field||
|Value in the Group selection field||
|Value in the Link field||
|Value in the Time field||
|Values in the Rich text field||
|Value in the Created datetime field||
|Value in the Updated datetime field||
- When the record numbers are copied to the app with an app code, only the numbers are copied. The app code is not copied.
- Values in fields that are included in a table cannot be copied. For details on tables, see How to Create a Table.
- For in-space apps in a Guest Space, only the apps in the same guest space can be specified for the copy destination.
- When creating an action in an app of a Guest Space, the Destination must be an app that belongs to the same Guest Space.
Customizing an App with App Settings