You can configure Lookup Fields to map fields from one application to another. Lookup fields are a one time pull of data from a datasource app, into fields in another "destination" app.
- If data in a record in the datasource app is updated, the record in the destination app will not automatically update. You must navigate back to the destination app, edit the record, click Lookup again, and click Save.
What is Lookup?
Lookup autofills data from one app to another. This saves the trouble of entering data and also prevents inputting errors.
Let's say a lookup function has been set for a project management app to allow the app to refer to a customer management app. This will allow you to retrieve any customer information and copy it into the project management app.
How to lookup information with a Lookup Field:
- From a record, enter the partial string of a customer name into the Lookup field, and click "Lookup". The list of customer names that match the partial string entered will be displayed.
- Select the customer whose information you want to be copied to the project management app. The information for that specific customer will automatically be entered into the form of the app.
Data copied with the lookup feature is saved independently from the source app. Even if parts of data are changed or deleted in the source app, data that was previously retrieved is retained until a user clicks Lookup within the record again.
- If there is only one customer that matches the partial string entered in step 1, the customer list in step 2 is not displayed. When you click “Lookup", the customer information is automatically be entered on the form.
- If you do not provide any string in step 1 and click "Lookup", all customers are displayed. In the same way as in step 2, you can select a customer to retrieve the data.
- Only one keyword can be specified in step 1. Multiple keywords cannot be specified. In addition, search keywords have the same limitations as the search bar feature.
This error message is displayed in one of the following situations:
- If you try to save the record when Lookup field is required, but there was no data lookup.
- Solution: Click "Lookup" to retrieve data, and then save the record.
- When a search keyword is entered in the lookup field and the data is not retrieved.
- Solution: Delete the entered keyword, or click "Lookup" to retrieve data, and then save the record.
- Please note: If the error message is still displayed, data that is referred by the lookup field may include a line break character. A line break character appears as a space. When you open the "Edit Record" screen for the record that is referred by the lookup field and save it without any change, the line break character is automatically removed.
Configuring a Lookup Field
- Within an app, click the Gear wheel on the right.
- Click the Form tab.
- Drag and drop the field to the form.
- Hover over the Lookup field and click Settings.
Set the following options:
- Name- Enter desired Field Name.
- Data Source App- Select the app you wish to pull data from.
- Key Field- Select a field in the data source app that will be the key identifier in the two app's relationship. This is what you will be typing into the field to Lookup the data.
- Under Field Mappings- From the first drop-down, select the field in the current app that you wish to map a field from the data source app to. From the second drop-down, select the field from the data source app to display in the current app's field. These fields must be the same field type. You will be pulling data from the source app into already created fields in your app, if you haven't created these fields yet, do so now.
- Fields Shown in Lookup Picker- Using the drop-down, select one or more () fields to display when selecting which record to pull information from.
- Filter- Set optional filters to view only the data that meets the filter conditions in the Lookup Picker.
- Sort by- Set an optional sort to override the default sort of descending by Record Number.
- Click Save.
- Click Save Form.
- Click Update App.
Clearing Lookup Settings
To clear the lookup settings, delete the Lookup field. Even if you delete the lookup field, the values copied from the data source app into the current app will remain unchanged in the record.
Fields that can be Specified for "Key Field"
When setting a Key Field in Lookup Settings, the following fields can be used:
- Record Number
- Fields set in a table can't be used as a Key Field.
Fields that can be Specified for "Field Mappings"
In the Field Mapping portion of Lookup Settings, the following fields can be specified for both the Source Field and the Destination Field:
|Destination Field||Source Field|
|Radio Button||Radio Button|
|Link||Link: Only when the type of the entered value is the same|
|Date and Time||
|Department Selection||Department Selection|
|Group Selection||Group Selection|
- Any field set in a table can't be used.
Changing the Datasource App or Key Field Setting
To change the Datasource App or Key Field Setting:
- Navigate to the Form tab of your App Settings.
- Delete the Lookup field.
- Drag and drop another Lookup field on your form and configure the settings.
- Click Save Form on the upper left side of the screen.
- Even if you modify the setting in the lookup field, values for Field Mappings do not change.
- When you update the existing records, we recommend you bulk update with a CSV file. However, you can only bulk update if the following conditions are met:
- If there are no duplicate values in the fields that are selected for Key Field in the existing records.
- "Prohibit duplicate values" must be selected for the setting in the fields that are selected for Key Field.
Configuring a Related Records Field