You can use an Action in a thread to easily copy content into a new record in an app. You can automatically assign them to the author of a comment, or automatically enter the comment text in the details field of the app, or use other source and destination field mappings to map parts of the comment to a field in the target app.
After you set up a Thread Action, the people whom you make it available to can see the action and click it to open a new record in a target app.
To Create an Action in a Thread:
- In a thread, hover over comment until you see the button.
- Click . Any existing Actions, which you can edit or delete, will appear, as well as the option to create a new Action.
- Click New Action.
- In the Action Settings dialog, enter a Name for the action.
- The Source is automatically “Any Threads" and is not editable.
- In the Target field, select or search for an app in the portal from the drop-down list. This is the app which the information in the thread will be passed to.
- Field Mappings are optional. If you leave the default and do not map fields, when the user clicks the app in the popup, the app opens to a new record, with no part of the comment in any field of the app.
- For the Source Field, select an item from the list: Comment text, Comment posted date/time, Comment posted by, or Comment permalink.
- For the Destination Field, select a field from the target app. The list of destination fields changes depending to match the field type of the Source Field.
- In the Available To field, use the User Selector to select users who will be able to use the new Action. You must include your own name in the Available To field.
- Click .
Using Actions in Threads:
- To use the new Action, click by hovering over a comment in a Thread.
- The Action is listed in the pop-up. To create a new record in the target app, click the Action Name in the pop-up. A new record opens in the app.
- To Edit the Action, click the Edit icon.
- To Delete the action, click the Delete icon.